Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Blog #4

YOU MUST HAVE THIS DONE BEFORE WE MEET IN THE COMPUTER LAB (Monday, October 11th or Thursday, October 14).

The success of any paper hinges on your interest in the topic and your willingness to pick a side.

In the interest of encouraging you to find new ideas, what follows is a list of topics I will not allow you to write on for your argument paper: steriod use, drug use, abortion, euthanasia, cigarette smoking (including smoking bans), alcohol use/abuse, suicide, child abuse, or the death penalty. These topics have been done to death and you really cannot say anything that I haven't already heard (on either side).

I have the last say on topics so aim for creative and interesting. For this assignment, post a blog entitled "Research Paper Free Write" in which you think about your outside interests. Are you active in sports? In a Greek organization? In a chess club? What issues do you talk about with your friends? What upsets you about the evening news? What encourages you in the newspaper? Are you interested in world affairs? Movies? Television? I want to know what you are thinking about every day. This post should be at least 2 or 3 long paragraphs. I will get back to each of you, individually, with topic ideas drawn from this post. Don't short change yourself in this assignment. Take it seriously and really think about those issues with which you come into contact every day.

I REALLY JUST WANT TO KNOW ABOUT YOUR INTERESTS AND LIKES. Free write a lot about these things.

1 comment:

ericka badoh said...

"Research paper free write"
Topics that interest me the most are teenage pregancy, sextexing, and childhood bullies. I also like reading about illiteracy among the black youth and gang violence. I read about this constantly, and really think that this issue is going to set African Americans back for fifty years. I am a single parent and really do not like this issue. I think single parenting is a big stressor, and their should be more tax credits involved for single parenting families.